Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Dropped My Mittens






Polar Dash 14 Miler
January 1, 2014
Eight Months Post Stroke

The tent was open. There were a couple
fire pits with runners huddled around
them. Essentially the inside and outside
temperature was the same.
I checked my smart phone,
-10%F, 20 below with the windchill.
I was warm. My wife and I researched
how I should dress for sub zero temps.

"Mr.Walters, I'm freezing. I am going to
call Rabbi Feller to pick me up.
Call us when you're done."

"OK Shmuely, see you after I cross the
finish line."

The runners started lining up. They
played the Star-Spangled Banner,
then Rock music. Everyone started
to cheer. I felt the excitement and
enthusiasm.

I clicked on my IPod , which was set
to repeat one song, Yesh Tikvah.

I ran about 200 yards. My glasses were
completely fogged up.

I'll have to put my glasses in my pocket.
They may break.
I have two choices:
1. Maybe break my glasses,
or
2.Stop running.
I choose...maybe break my glasses.

I am going to have to take off my
mittens so I can unzip my pocket.
Then, I will take off my glasses as quickly
as possible.
I hope I don't plow into
anyone.
 I yanked off one mitten and
put it in my other hand.
 I grabbed my glasses and pulled
my other mitten off .
As I reached to unzip my pocket,
both mittens fell to the ground.
Fortunately I was
still holding my glasses.
 I shoved my glasses into my pocket and kept
running.
Now what am going to do?
If I stop, I will get stampeded.
It's too cold to run without mittens
and hand warmers.
Kindness saved me!
One runner picked up my mittens
and handed them to me.
Another runner handed me my
hand warmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment