Wednesday, February 8, 2017

My First Public Appearance



Saturday May 11, 2013 14 Days Post Stroke
Shabbos (Jewish Sabbath)

I am obligated to say the Blessing of Thanksgiving
(Birchot Hagomel) to thank God for the Kindness He
has done for me. I survived a stroke. GOD saved my
life!

 My grandson,my wife, medical professionals,
my family, my friends, the community exercised
their free will, to be emissaries of GOD.
I am grateful for their kindness.

Nevertheless, I was not looking forward to going
to the Synagogue today. I feel like it's my formal
debut as a 'Celebrity Nebach (pitiful one.)
I wanted to stay home and crawl under my sheets.

I am not a Rabbi. In my amateur opinion Gratitude
is Not optional. I am obligated to give public
thanks.

So here I am walking down the aisle towards the Bimah.
(A raised platform from which the Torah is read.)
I am trying to look strong and confident.

I said in Hebrew:
Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the universe,

Who bestows kindness upon the culpable, for He has bestowed goodness to me.

When I finished I was enveloped by warm hand shakes and hugs.

I felt loved!

This reaffirmed for me the values of gratitude, kindness, and caring

for others.

When I sat back down next to Yosef, a few tears dripped down my cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment