Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Power of Positive Thinking




"Neglect of the mind-body link by technological
medicine is actually a brief aberration when
viewed against the whole history of the art of
healing."
Bernie S. Siegel, M.D.
Love, Medicine and Miracles: Lessons Learned about Self-Healing from a Surgeon's Experience with Exceptional Patients


Thursday May 9, 2013 12 Days Post Stroke
9:00pm In My Basement Office

I am feeling very smug like I am the first
to discover the healing power of  the
Mind-body connection, and the attributes
of Positive Thinking. I am surrounded
by all these books and articles about
the mind-body link. I guess being in my
basement office makes it seem like I'm
privy to 'Secret Information.'
Oh, that's funny!
'Back off , man...I'm a
scientist.'
Line from Ghostbusters...funny.
Here’s the secret that’s not really a secret.
 It’s revolutionary, exciting science.
(A Torah attitude for about four thousand
years.) that's pretty new and revolutionary,
Don't you think?...Oh, that's funny.
"Positive thinking is not just a way to
weather negative occurrences, but actually
makes positive results happen."
Chabad.org

Positive thinking really does change my brain.
 Not in some magical, woo woo kind of way,
but in a real physical way.

The science is called neuroplasticity.
It means that my thoughts can change
the structure and function

of my brain. The idea was first introduced by
William James in 1890, but it was soundly rejected by

scientists who uniformly believed the brain is
rigidly mapped out, with certain parts of the brain
controlling certain functions. If that part is dead
or damaged, the function is altered or lost.
Well, it appears they were wrong.

Neuroplasticity now enjoys wide acceptance
as scientists are proving the brain is endlessly
adaptable and dynamic.

It has the power to change its own structure,
even for those with the severe neurological afflictions.
 People with problems like strokes, cerebral palsy, and
mental illness can train other areas of their
brains through repetitive mental and physical activities.
It is completely life-altering.

So what does this have to do with positive
thinking and with me?

It means that repetitive positive thought and positive
activity can rewire my brain and strengthen brain
areas that stimulate positive feelings.

"If a negative thought enters your mind, evaluate
it rationally and respond with affirmations of
what is good about yourself."

Mayo Clinic Staff

I AM HEALTHY AND STRONG!

I AM HEALTHY AND STRONG!

I AM HEAlTHY AND STRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment