Wednesday, February 8, 2017

I Am Going To Win This Fight!



I am going to give myself a major pep talk. I'm used to hearing and giving peps since 1979 when I first started in sales. That's ah, ah, ah, let me think, ah, a lot of years! I can see my bulletin board in my basement office.  Whenever  I need encouragement, that's where I go. To my basement! That's it! I'll go to my basement now and look at all those slogans and plaques. There's my High School diploma. I went straight in at 7th grade. Hadn't even hit puberty. I was bullied and beaten. I gained empathy for the underdog. "In your hand is power and strength and it is in your hand to make anyone great and strong!" I remember when I worked for you, Dad of Blessed memory, in your famous S&B sandwich shop. My favorite thing was to schlep huge stacks of beer and pop, heavy barrels filled with cornedbeef and brine up and down those wooden steps to the third floor balcony. I loved the feel of the pump this gave in my muscles. I wore a tight short sleeve undershirt tucked into my blue jeans. My muscles were bulging out all over the place. My platform shoes made me look tall too. When I walked around Oakland, which was a pretty tough neighborhood, no one dared mess with me. Being beaten up and bullied was a series of humiliating setbacks. But I grew up and got stronger. "The greater the struggle, the greater the reward." This is just another setback. An opportunity! "Pain is weakness leaving my body... It's temporary...quitting is forever... Which would I rather live for?" Great athletes have setbacks and come back better than they were before.  This is nothing compared to what all those runners experienced in Boston with their legs being blown off. I am a winner! I am a champion! Look out stroke! Your D'One going down in this fight! "Mr. Walters it's time for your meds." Yyyeee tee. Hannnd'mm to mmee.

No comments:

Post a Comment